You got problems, I got answers.
- Does your Spanish need improving? Try dating a Spaniard. They espeak the espainish and they can help. All they have to do is open their mouths and start talking. Simple. Easy. Plus, they have may sexy accents. Score!
- Does your boyfriend wear jorts? Try dating a Spaniard. They do have impeccable style. My previous post was more about women’s fashion, but…Spanish men, at least the ones I know, know how to dress. Thank you, God.
- Does your boyfriend’s idea of cooking include Easy Mac? Try dating a Spaniard. Mine’s specialty is arroz con leche (rice pudding) and it is divine. I’ll do a recipe post sometime. He also makes lentejas. The first time I went to his apartment in Salamanca he made me a two course meal, which, of course, knocked me off my feet. Swoon.
- Do you hate spending vacations in Florida? Try dating a Spaniard. Instead, you can spend summers in el pueblo (the village) where there is exactly one café and no supermarkets. You can sit around and chew the fat, eat until you need to echarte una siestecita, and take long nightly walks. It’s the life. I swear.
- Do you want to make others curious about your life? Try dating a Spaniard (or, okay, any foreigner I suppose). People tell me that they are curious about Mario and me. They want to know what language we speak, where we want to live, what Mario thinks of the States, what I think of Spain, how do we make this LDR thing work, etc. I mean, if you like that kind of thing, you should try it. I don’t know if I like it always, but sometimes I do. Plus, it gives me blog fodder.
- Do you want to have the best wedding “reception” ever? Try dating a Spaniard. Okay, so I’m not married or engaged, but I have been to Spanish wedding “receptions” and they are much more fun than U.S. ones. Goodbye, punch and cake. Hello, five course meal, great wine, dancing, raucous laughter, and eardrum-shattering shouts of “¡Vivan los novios!” (Long live the bride and groom!) I Internet know a few people married to Spaniards (Erin, Eric, Hayley), and I think they would concur.
Oh, so yeah, I tried dating one. His name is Mario and, contrary to popular belief, he is not an Italian plumber with a penchant for mushrooms and throwing fireballs when he’s angry. Oddly enough, his penchant is for desserts. A sweeter tooth was never to be found than the one he’s got! (Okay, maybe his dad wins this one.)
In all seriousness, I want to make a disclaimer: by no means do I think all American guys wear jorts and live on Easy Mac. Au contraire, I know this is not so. In the same way, not all Spaniards are sophisticated. The odd Spanish mullet proves this point. (See also: rat tails.) But it is kind of funny and I think I’m pretty lucky to have tried dating a Spaniard, even if I didn’t think of these reasons until two years later.
¡Hasta la próxima!